The Hemp Connection + women's health tips

What are you allowing to shackle you?

Yesterday was my last full day at Green Mountain at Fox Run. I was winding down and mentally moving toward packing and closing out my presence, looking forward to a little bit of break. Then, Jane, their very high energy fitness instructor, announced that after lunch there would be a Zumba class.

I'd seen the infomercials about Zumba, and had always wanted to try it, so she got my attention!

The class itself was great fun! I have always loved Latin dancing, and thought blending that with a workout would be a great way to mix business and pleasure.

(If you're interested in learning more about Zumba, inCYSTer Michelle Kleist coincidentally blogged about it yesterday as well.

One of the types of dances we exercised to was a cumbia. In teaching us how to do it, Jane mentioned that it was a dance that originated with the slaves, and since they were always attached to a shackle, the dance is done with one foot kept close to the ground.

I've always loved Latin American music for the fact that you simply can't be sad listening to it. But I'd never considered the origins until she said that. Here was a group of people, forced into a situation with as many physical and emotional barriers to happiness as I can imagine…and they figured out a way to dance. They figured out a way to express joy.

I then thought of many women I've met with PCOS. How many of them have been given physical, health, and emotional barriers…and who have given up on looking for ways to feel unshackled.

Just a note to get you thinking…are you allowing yourself to be shackled? Are you persistent with reframing messages from others and thoughts about yourself to liberate you from those shackles?

If the slaves in Colombia figured out a way to do it…I'm willing to bet you can, too…

Blog, energy, fitness, fun, green tea, healthy work, love, thinking, and more:

What are you allowing to shackle you? + women's health tips