The Hemp Connection + surgery

Coping With Pre-Surgical Fears

As you’re reading this blog post, I’ll be heading off to my long-time gynecologist/surgeon for a pre-surgery briefing, signing of consent forms, and preparation instructions for an outpatient surgery to remove a cyst from my left ovary the following week. For some of us, it’s regrettably routine, and for others, the idea of having surgery is very frightening. The fear may be constant or fleeting, depending upon your history.

In my case, I would ordinarily not be afraid, but I had surgery two years ago and ended up with a deep and painful pelvic infection that took months to truly resolve. To say that I was terrified of returning to the same hospital would be putting it mildly – I think I had a near-hysterical reaction initially. Here’s what I did to calm myself, which I hope will be useful to you as you face your medical fears.

Identified alternatives – I considered another hospital (but my doctor is only on staff at this one), another surgeon (no, thanks, I need someone who knows me well and whom I trust implicitly), delaying the surgery (again, no thanks, as this has become a chronic pain situation over the last few months), or not having the surgery at all (this didn’t seem viable either, for the aforementioned reasons).

Researched/gathered information – in addition to talking extensively with my physician, I spent a fair amount of time with my nose in some books, and talking to my medical practitioner friends, as well as reading research and opinions on the internet. I always say, knowledge is power. But in this case, I may have scared myself unnecessarily by being a little too well-informed.

Consulted with other experts – I consulted with a physician/friend who knows the surgeon, an infectious diseases expert about how to ensure that I don’t get another infection, and people who have been through scary medical procedures themselves.

Took my time – I took my time, partly because of my schedule, partly because of my doctor’s schedule, and partly because I really don’t want to have surgery, and I was hoping the matter would resolve on its own. I tried a lot of alternative approaches, which helped, but I’m now confident that surgery is the right choice.

Considered risks, benefits, and outcomes – the risks include loss of the ovary, potential infection, or of course death (they put that on all the consent forms). Benefits include relief from pain, restoration of normal and comfortable functioning, and relieving my body of some diseased and dysfunctional tissue. Given the precautions I’m taking, along with my choice of highly esteemed surgeons, I expect the best possible outcome.

Came to peace with an imperfect decision
– I really, really, really don’t want to have surgery! And I don’t want to go back to that hospital, and I don’t want to lose my ovary. But I also know that I can’t reasonably continue dealing with the level and frequency of pain I’ve endured for the last few months, the surgeon is excellent, the hospital’s outpatient department is better than its inpatient services, pharmaceutical treatments aren’t containing it or remedying it, and alternatives work well for a bit, but aren’t a permanent solution. I’m okay with my decision, regardless of the outcome. I’ve done the best for my body and my peace of mind, and that’s all I can do.

Gretchen Kubacky, Psy.D. is a Health Psychologist in private practice in West Los Angeles, California. She specializes in counseling women and couples who are coping with infertility, PCOS, and related endocrine disorders and chronic illnesses.

If you would like to learn more about Dr. HOUSE or her practice, or obtain referrals in the Los Angeles area, please visit her website at www.drhousemd.com, or e-mail her at Gretchen@drhousemd.com. You can also follow her on Twitter @askdrhousemd.

Blog, coping skills, fun, healthy way, hospitals, life, mental health, peace, power, stress, and more:

Coping With Pre-Surgical Fears + surgery