The Hemp Connection + women's health

Simmer Sauces for Some Simple Suppers

I live two blocks from Fresh and Easy and I love to take my lunch breaks over there to see what is happening at the sample counter and new on the shelves.

Yesterday I checked out their new line of simmer sauces, which are simply ready made sauces that can be used as the basis for a quick and easy meal.

I encourage clients to maintain an inventory of"emergency" ingredients for 2 or 3 easy meals to make in a pinch. Simmer sauces would be perfect for this. They're a bit high in sodium to use on a daily basis, but once in awhile, they're so much better than a pizza or fast food run.

Of the 11 varieties that I found in my particular store, 5 were made with anti-inflammatory fats. I played a little game of"Stump the Demo Guy" with my friend Steven, asking him what he might make if he had these in his own kitchen. Here is what he came up with.

Cacciatore: poured in with sauteed mushrooms and eggplant and served over quinoa.

Provencal: used with tilapia, served with green beans and olive oil-brushed, rosemary-sprinkled sweet potato fries.

Burgundy wine: as a cooking sauce for a lean cut of beef, such as flank steak

Chile verde: a healthy rice bowl with pre-cooked brown rice, canned black beans, chopped tomatoes, topped with the simmer sauce.

Texas chili: along with browned ground turkey and a can of kidney beans, poured over zero-carb shirataki noodles with a bit of shredded low-fat cheese for a Cincinnati specialty (more commonly known as five-way chili).

food, green tea, healthy lifestyle, love, olive oil, recipes, and more:

Simmer Sauces for Some Simple Suppers + women's health