The Hemp Connection + vegetables

Some people just have the RAWng idea about healthy eating

Not long ago, I stopped into Planet Raw, in Santa Monica. It's a very popular hangout for raw foodists, so I wanted to see what the buzz was about. I actually enjoyed perusing the shelves, and they did have some fun things to buy for the more adventurous cook. I'll probably eat there from time to time, as it's a stone's throw away from my office.

However…I had a most disturbing conversation with one of the employees. When she learned that I was a dietitian, she commented,"Cool, maybe you can help then. We're having trouble finding protein sources. Do you have any ideas?"

So I mentioned Growing Naturals, the rice protein powder that I wrote up last week.

"Oh, we don't do rice."

When I asked why, she responded by explaining that Planet Raw's owner"doesn't do rice".

So I suggested pea protein.

"Oh, we don't do peas, either."

When I asked why, she responded by explaining that Planet Raw's owner"doesn't do peas".

I could see I wasn't going to get anywhere because I was in a food religion debate, not an evidence-based scientific discussion, so I politely guided the conversation to its end.

I later went to the website (which you can Google for yourself, I won't provide free advertising for this place through linking), and could find absolutely nothing explaining this philosophy. I saw plenty of advertising for expensive certifications as raw chefs, and courses for raw foodists…which, in essence, kind of seemed like me to be expensive courses on how to promote malnutrition.

I do my best to be positive and inspiring rather than confrontational on this blog, but sometimes I get pushed past my limit of tolerance. This philosophy, especially for women with PCOS who need a decent amount of protein in their diet to reduce the influence of insulin resistance, is simply dangerous.

Of course, a diet that is heavy on the raw, is perfectly fine. It means you're eating plenty of fruits, vegetables, nuts…all great sources of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and fiber. But a completely raw diet needs to be taken on with a lot of thought, not be a source of pride with regard to how many foods you can find an excuse not to eat. Here is why.

At the same time raw food diets have been studied and found to have benefit, they have also been associated with many problems women with PCOS already have.

lower bone density,
amenorrhea and underweightness in women,
dental erosion with a raw vegan diet,

elevated plasma homocysteine and low serum HDL cholesterol" and vitamin B12 deficiency.

Bottom line? Enjoy your occasional lunch at Planet Raw, and buy their coconut flour. But don't depend on them for advice when it comes to how to eat this diet in a way that allows you to reduce the influence PCOS has on your life.

For the record, I am NOT anti-raw. I am anti-malnutrition, and anti-inflammation. Be sure you know the difference if you choose to pursue a raw foodist lifestyle/food religion.

Fontana, L; Shew, JL; Holloszy, JO; Villareal, DT. Low bone mass in subjects on a long-term raw vegan diet." Archives of Internal Medicine 165 (6): 684–9, 2005.

Koebnick, C; Strassner, C; Hoffmann, I; Leitzmann, C. Consequences of a long-term raw vegan diet on body weight and menstruation: results of a questionnaire survey. Annals of Nutrition & Metabolism 43 (2): 69–79, 1999.

Ganss, C; Schlechtriemen, M; Klimek, J. Dental erosions in subjects living on a raw food diet. Caries Research 33 (1): 74–80, 1999.

Koebnick, Corinna; Garcia, Ada L; Dagnelie, Pieter C; Strassner, Carola; Lindemans, Jan; Katz, Norbert; Leitzmann, Claus; Hoffmann, Ingrid. Long-Term Consumption of a Raw Food Diet Is Associated with Favorable Serum LDL Cholesterol and Triglycerides but Also with Elevated Plasma Homocysteine and Low Serum HDL Cholesterol in Humans. Journal of Nutrition 135 (10): 2372, 2005.

antioxidant, Blog, diet, food, fruits, fun, healthy way, life, nutrition, positive, protein, raw foods, and more:

Some people just have the RAWng idea about healthy eating + vegetables