The Hemp Connection + recipes

De-bittering Kale

Source: elanaspantry.com via Valerie on Pinterest

Kale is the new rage. I've even seen it hailed as The New Beef.

Problem is, for newbies to this green way of eating, kale is a bitter veggie to swallow.

I wanted to share some of my favorite ways to work with kale that get you out of the bitter and into the tasty zone!

1. Make chips! I put a photo album on our Facebook page showing you how to do this with pretty much any green, including kale. It's soooo easy!

2. Cook with Parmesan cheese. Cheese, for some reason, helps to take bitterness out of greens.

3. Massage with oil. I'm sharing a couple of links here to recipes describing tis technique, which is basically breaking down the membranes of the leaves with your hands while massaging in a little oil. The first recipe, Kale Salad with Grapefruit, and photo are from friend Valerie Griswold. The second recipe is for the popular kale avocado salad at Whole Foods, which is what I always encourage people to try if they have never had kale. The avocado does the job that the oil does in the previous recipe.

4. Throw a handful into smoothies! You won't taste it at all, and you'll still get the benefit of its goodness.

5. Add to soups. If I get close to the next weekly veggie box and I still have things I haven't used, I make soup. Kale is a great thing to throw in anything.

food, greens, healthy way, kale, life, and more:

De-bittering Kale + recipes