The Hemp Connection + supertaster

Are you working against your tastebuds when you try to change your eating?

We all know them. The people you can't go out to eat with. The ones who can go through an entire menu of options and find something wrong with each one. The ones who, on sipping a glass of wine, will tell you that this vintage, woodsy with a hint of vanilla, has come from the Bordeaux region, Francois Fancy's vineyard to be exact, and the grapes were most likely picked during the record rainy week of August 7, 1997. And you order what they order instead of the house wine because you feel like such an oenologic imbecile in their presence. They're the ones who want their ice cream slightly microwaved before eating it. The ones you have to call in advance of a dinner party to be sure what you're fixing will be something they will eat.

Picky eaters? Food snobs? Pains in the butt? Or supertasters?

I vote for the latter. Research in recent years has identified a type of eater who is naturally, genetically, more sensitive to the flavors and textures of foods. I experienced this phenomenon in person a few years ago at a nutrition conference. One of my college friends and now nutrition researcher, Valerie Duffy, studies supertasting. At her booth, she handed me and my coworker each a piece of paper and asked us to place it on our tongue. While I sat there for a few seconds wondering what the gimmick was, my friend immediately began to gag and cough, explaining that it was the most vile thing she had ever placed in her mouth. We learned that she is a supertaster and I…am a nontaster.

Supertasters are interesting people. I imagine they're the ones in medieval times called in to sample the king's food to be sure it wasn't poisoned. (I could use one of them in my home to let me know when I should be throwing things away.) We had a wine professor back at Cornell whose sense of taste was so keen he was flown to several vineyards each year to sample the harvest and, based on his response, the wine was priced.

The specifics of how this is determined are outlined nicely in this article. What is important to take away from this blog post, is that everyone experiences food differently, and that is important to account for. I try to use this information in my writing here. Rather than encourage you to eat only foods that I would like, I write about as many foods as I can in hopes that each of you develops your own"favorite" list with confidence. Without even doing the PROP test, I'm betting you can tell who you are by the kind of food blogs you enjoy. If you have cinnamon from 3 different countries in your custom-made spice cabinet (you know who you are!), love endless detail about ingredients, preparation, subtle characteristics of food…you're probably more of a supertaster. If that intimidates you and you're more of a"just tell me what to make for dinner and for heaven's sake use the five ingredients I have in the fridge and make it easy" kind of reader, you're more than likely a nontaster.

One of my dearest friends is a supertaster. It took awhile for this friend to relax around me with food, probably because this characteristic can make it hard to socialize with friends and you can begin to become self-conscious about how your tastebuds behave in public. You can be pegged as a pain, eyes roll, people wonder if you have an eating disorder. I eventually learned what the top ten list of"friendship favorite ingredients" was, to microwave the ice cream, and not to experiment too much in the kitchen (note to self: marinated smoked scallops--definitely not a supertaster's favorite), and we got along fine. I actually eat better when I'm with this friend, I believe, because whereas I am more of an eat to live person and can get by on pretty much anything that quaffs my hunger and gets me back to work, my friend tends to steer me toward food experiences that encourage me to sit, relax, taste, and enjoy food for the many other pleasures it provides.

What's interesting about nontasters is that they tend to like more fat. That makes sense, since flavors are more soluble in fat, and food for a nontaster is more enjoyable if you do anything to it to enhance the flavor. I definitely love my fat!

Taste perception outside of the food world is pretty interesting. Supertasters, for example, are less likely to experience depression. And middle-aged nontasting women are more prone to obesity. Well that makes sense…first of all, if you're eating more fat so you can taste your food, you're eating more calories…and if you're trying NOT to eat fat because you've been told it's unhealthy, you're walking around looking for something to nosh on that allows your tastebuds to tell you you're full and it's time to stop eating.

You apparently cannot fool your tastebuds the way some food companies would like you to believe.

Does that mean supertasters are destined to be happy and thin while nontasters are cursed to be depressed and fat? Absolutely not. Many factors contribute to your mood and your weight. The point here is that it's better to identify the foods you LIKE and learn how to eat those in healthy balance, rather than try to eat things you don't because some food expert wrote some diet du jour that half of Hollywood is following that has no foods you enjoy in the meal plans.

Be confident in what your taste buds tell you. Don't apologize for what you like and what you don't. Work with what you've got. Enjoy the flavor ride. Microwaved ice cream, nachos, and all.

Joiner TE Jr, Perez M. Phenylthiocarbamide tasting and family history of depression, revisited: low rates of depression in families of supertasters. Psychiatry Res. 2004 Apr 15;126(1):83-7.
Goldstein GL, Daun H, Tepper BJ. Adiposity in middle-aged women is associated with genetic taste blindness to 6-n-propylthiouracil. Obes Res. 2005 Jun;13(6):1017-23.

depression, diet, food, get healthy body, happy, love, nontaster, nutrition, relax, and more:

Are you working against your tastebuds when you try to change your eating? + supertaster