The Hemp Connection + perfect body

Some fun with food

We take your PCOS seriously at inCYST. But today I'm feeling a little playful. I just wrapped up a beautiful candlelight yoga session at Green Mountain at Fox Run Resort, after teaching 3 great classes to the cysters who are here this week. With no stress left in my body, I thought I'd take a break from the routine and share a couple of new foods I've recently learned about.

Today, Chef Jon prepared a salad with a brilliant, Christmasy colored vegetable to spice up the greens. When I asked him about it, he told me it was a"watermelon radish". Yes, it's a radish, but when you slice it, it looks like a watermelon wedge! Here's a photo so you can see for yourself! It is a variation of the daikon radish. As you can see, it's green on the outside so if you look for it at the market as a"radish", you might just walk right by it.

Just about the time I think I've come to know all there is to know about food, a pluot or a watermelon radish proves me wrong!

Secondly, for our many vegetarian readers, a good friend was in town recently and shared during his visit that his son, who lives in Scotland, ordered"vegetarian haggis" in a restaurant over there. For those of you who don't know what haggis is…it's not the kind of food that any respectable vegetarian would ever be caught eating…and it struck me as funny that there would even be a demand for a vegetarian version! But I even found it online so someone must be eating it!

What I've loved about my week at Green Mountain at Fox Run is watching the cysters I've been working with discover that food is not an enemy, and it's not a chore. It's a gift, it's nourishment, it's fun, and it's healing. There is always something new to try, and eating healthy actually includes a lot more foods than most people normally eat, so done well, it's also never boring!

If you'd like to learn more about Green Mountain at Fox Run's approach to food, you might like to follow their blog, A Weight Lifted. Check out today's Healthy Cooking Thursday by Sous Chef Lisa, featuring plantain chips.

Blog, food, fun, green tea, health tips, love, and more:

Some fun with food + perfect body