The Hemp Connection + vegetables

Food of the week--Salsa!

Last Saturday I was doing a demo for a client at a local Whole Foods store. I love doing demos because I get to do something away from the computer and call it work! Another reason I love demos is because of the fun and creative people I get to meet. Most people who do demos are small business people who had an idea for how to make something tastier, healthier, and/or easier to cook. Which is one reason why, if you're reading this post and you're a Whole Foods patron, you might want to spend more time talking to these people next time you go shopping.

But I digress.

What I started to say was that last Saturday I was positioned across the aisle from a chef who has started a salsa company. And I immediately thought of my blog. Salsa! One of my very favorite foods! How could I be from Arizona and have this"Food of the Week" feature as long as I have and not have even thought about salsa?

Why do I love salsa? Because it's versatile. You can put it on barbecued meat. You can put it on a sandwich instead of ketchup. You can stir a little bit into just about any other kind of sauce to spice it up. You can put it on eggs in the morning. It's just one of those foods that once you learn how to use it, you can't live without it. (I actually start to crave it if I'm traveling in a place where food tends to be a little blander…)

Nutritionally, salsa can be a great way to get those veggies in that otherwise just don't seem to get onto your plate. If you're looking for a way to clean out your vegetable bin, you can make your own salsa. Pretty much anything goes together in some way.

If you're feeling adventurous, try mango or pineapple salsas. Mango salsa goes great with salmon!

One thing you do need to watch with commercially prepared salsas is that they can be high in sodium. The particular brand my new friend was selling happens to be low in sodium because he himself has a blood pressure issue. So read the label--there may be something healthy in your area.

Now I'm hungry. I think I'd better see what's in my own kitchen that I can spice up tonight with some salsa!

Blog, food, fun, healthy body, love, nutrition, salsa, sodium, time to be, and more:

Food of the week--Salsa! + vegetables