The Hemp Connection + time to be

Food of the week: Pumpkin seeds

It's little things that add up to big changes. And it's the canister of little pumpkin seeds in my kitchen cabinet that reminded me it was time for a new food of the week!

One of the things I think people miss most when eating healthier is the perception that they are sacrificing the"crunch". I'm not sure where that perception comes from, with most produce providing a great crunchy alternative…but for those of you who just don't think carrots are a fair crunchy trade for potato chips, think about seeds and nuts.

I used to hate pumpkin seeds as a kid, but it's probably because we scooped them out of the gooey Halloween aftermath and had to take the shell off to eat them. These days, shelled roasted pumpkin seeds are available in the bulk food sections of most grocery stores.

I like pumpkin seeds because they contain omega-3 fatty acids. Not the kind you'll get in fish, but still a healthy fat. I also like their versatility. You can sprinkle them on a salad or soups. You can add them to a tuna or chicken salad. Crushed or ground, you can add them to any flour you're using for a baking recipe. Mix them into your bread crumbs and crust your chicken or fish. Or…just have a handful when you walk in the door while you wait for dinner to be ready.

I like to store all my seeds and nuts in glass canisters so that I'm reminded that I have them. And if I remember they are there, I'm challenged to think of ways to put them into my other foods.

food, healthy body, omega-3, pumpkin seeds, and more:

Food of the week: Pumpkin seeds + time to be