The Hemp Connection + tips

Food of the week: Black eyed peas

I mentioned yesterday in my Facebook status that I was making black eyed peas, and the response to the recipe was positive enough that I thought I'd share it here!

Black eyed peas are one of those things you don't hear much about unless someone in your family comes from south of the Mason-Dixon line. They are commonly eaten on New Year's Day for good luck. I'm used to having them cooked with a ham hock, served with greens. But I saw this recipe in my new Costco cookbook and had to try it. It's supposed to be a dip for chips, but I loved it as a cold salad.

Black eyed peas, by the way, are a decent source of folate, for those of you who are trying to conceive or who are pregnant.

Enjoy!

Cowboy Caviar

1 lb. frozen corn
1/2 lb. black eyed peas, cooked (I just piled them in the slow cooker first thing this morning)
1 avocado, peeled and diced
2/3 cup cilantro, … Read Morechopped
2-3 green onions, chopped
4 Roma tomatoes
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
2 garlic cloves, crushed
3/4 tsp salt
1/8 teaspoon ground pepper
1 tbsp ground cumin

In a medium bowl, combine first 6 ingredients.
In a small bowl, whisk together next 6 ingredients. Add to the vegetable mixture and toss to coat.

black eyed peas, folate, food, green tea, life, love, olive oil, positive, and more:

Food of the week: Black eyed peas + tips